Friday, September 4, 2015

Just West of the Midwest Chapter 25 Teachers in Takanabe Tortured by AET Trying to Talk in Foreign Tongue


I agreed (and for the very last time, mind you) to make a speech at a local English teachers meeting recently. When I asked Yamamoto-sensei what I should talk about, he said anything - and then added, "Please include: life as a foreigner in Japan, my thoughts on the Japanese culture, team-teaching and the Japanese educational system... oh yeh, and please use some Japanese. You'll be speaking for 40 minutes."

Piece of cake. 

That is, if the cake is flavorless and stale and sticks in your throat, causing you to perform the Heimlich Maneuver on yourself.

I knew it would be awkward to translate only parts of my speech into Japanese, so instead I decided to write a short story that relates to my life here in Japan. I wrote the story in about two hours. It took me two weeks to translate. I worked on the speech for hours every day - getting help from Yoshino-san and Akiko-san (as well as every other member of the Board of Education - all of whom wanted to see me succeed), whether it was getting the grammar right or struggling with the pronunciation. The part of the speech I'd be doing in Japanese was only ten minutes long, but practicing it seemed as if it ran about ten hours. 

On the day of the speech, I almost chickened out altogether. However, I eventually convinced my reflection not to be so damn spineless. And then I did it. I was shaking so badly at the beginning that it felt as if I was experiencing another tremor. (The very first of which I experienced recently while standing in front of one of my classes at Kaminyuta. The earth stopped shaking in a matter of seconds, but my knees were wobbly for hours.) 

I'm proud to say I made it through with only a few minor stumbles. Afterward, many of the teachers were kind enough to tell me I'd done very well.

But I knew better.

I was awful.

I knew it.

They certainly knew it.

In the end though, I'm just proud I tried.

Dinner and drinks followed, so I was able to console myself in beer and oysters for several hours. The following week, I learned from Ted (a Miyazaki AET) that several of his teachers present at the event had formed the Anne Celano Fan Club.

Hey, maybe I wasn't that bad after all.

Oh, who am I kidding? 

I sucked. 

But at least they respected the effort and for that, I'm eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment