Monday, August 24, 2015

Just West of the Midwest Chapter 36: Nobody's Perfect

It has come to my attention that there has been a great deal of Japan-bashing going on back in the United States lately. For shame and hang on... I'm about to get preachy!

Look. I'm not a blind supporter of this country simply because I happen to be living here. I see its faults and I strongly disapprove of certain aspects. I also feel that Japan has a lot more to learn about international cooperation. But then again, I can say the exact same thing about my homeland.

I can only hope that what I've been writing to you (and hope you've at least been glancing at) for over a year and a half) has taught you a little something about this country and that you are not among those who are blaming Japan for the problems the U.S. is facing. If anyone is to be blamed, how about those who promised change when we elected them to office?

Yet the problem really isn't only with politicians, but with everyday people, everywhere. Especially people who have never tried to understand something - or someone - with different ideas, values, cultures, expectations, apprehensions, aspirations. Heck, I've struggled here often to help people understand a little more about my culture, my lifestyle, our society and our history.

Admittedly, it's been a long, slow process.

But we're learning.

Together. 

And that's all that really matters.

Hate breeds hate.

Misapprehension creates conflict.

Ignorance nurtures prejudice.

So no more blame, or name calling.

Enough said. Unless you want to get statistical. In the past few years, Japanese companies have created jobs throughout the States. Nissan, as one example, has provided over 130,000 jobs for American workers in the Midwest alone.

Chew on that, Japan-bashers.

* * *

I mentioned in my last letter that there was a possibility of staying here for a third year. I was offered what, at first, appeared to be a very enticing position. I was to be teaching and more or less running (with Sam) an English School in Hyuga. 

The salary seemed too good to be true and I thought of it as a great opportunity to teach English on our terms, without the often strict and unswerving guidelines set down by the Ministry of Education. However, after a great deal of soul-searching and serious thought to my future, I decided that accepting the offer was not in my best interest for a number of reasons; one of the most important of which is that I would be taking on a great deal of responsibility (with very little business experience) for starting a school from scratch. I certainly have learned a great deal about teaching English, but not nearly enough to take on such an enormous challenge. 

Another reason for my declining the offer is financial in nature. The salary we were offered seemed fantastic - to begin with - but then we began to figure in expenses that we haven't had to incur under our contract with the Ministry of Education. Taxes, housing, insurance and a list of various other comforts which would no longer be paid by the Japanese government. A very harsh reality indeed.

The most important reason for my not accepting the job, however, has to be that my heart is not really in teaching English as a second language. If I'm going to set my sights on a career in teaching, I would prefer the subject be literature - not language.

Suddenly, the salary, responsibility and the high expectations began to look more like a burden rather than a boom. I explained all of this to Mr. Maeda (the academy's financial backer) and although I thought he was going to be very put out, he was, instead, very understanding and even offered help in seeking financial assistance regarding the possibility of studying Japanese literature at a local university. 

Sam also decided not to take the position.

What does all of this mean? 

Well, I'm still looking elsewhere for other job opportunities. However, my friends, it likely means I'll be returning to the States in August.

Jobless.

Homeless.

And very near penniless.

Although I'm relieved to have finally made some of the tough decisions, the biggest regret I have is leaving my little town of Shintomi. It physically pains me to think about having to say good-bye to my life, my friends and my family here; that I'll no longer find comfort in their warmth and compassion; joy in their laughter and their teasing; strength in their instruction and protection that guided me from the moment I set my bags down until now.

It will almost be like losing a beat of my heart.

Over the next few months, I expect times will prove tearful and chaotic, but I plan to make the most of my last moments in Japan.

I think I'll be heading to China before heading home, but nothing is definite as of yet. 

So, I'll see you all in August. 

Until then...

* * *

Side Note: The Shintomi Police caught the depraved young man who tried to force his way into my apartment a couple months ago. I don't know many details, but I had to sign a document declaring that I believe he must be punished within the full extent of the law. 

Although I should have felt relieved, I didn't.



I just felt a little nauseous.

No comments:

Post a Comment